Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Here a moo, there a moo

On Monday we finally got our cows. We have been tempted to get a cow ever since our pasture turned into a jungle of giant ragweed, thistle, and burrs. When we had horses in there they kept the weeds at bay and the grass ate down. We needed something but cows are more expensive than I thought. At the auction they were going for at least a dollar a pound and cows weigh almost 1000 lbs!

Our neighbor listed a angus cow and weaned angus/hereford calf in Craigslist and we checked them out. The price seemed fair and they were close. The first time they tried to bring them over they wanted to put a halter on them and walk them over tied to the back of the truck. But if a 1000 lb cow doesn't want to go. It doesn't go. I was at work when all this was going on, but Leila and them got the halters on but the cow broke the halter and took off so everyone agreed that a trailer would work fine. On Monday when I got home there they were in the weeds of the pasture.


I will take some pictures once I fix the camera.

1 comment:

Erin said...

I'm so impressed with your proper farm!